Grapefruits are a tropical fruit in the citrus family with a semi-sweet somewhat sour taste. A crossbreed between oranges and pomelo, there are many different varieties of grapefruit. The varieties can be differentiated by the color of their pulp which can be either red, pink or white. And all though all the different varieties of grapefruits have benefits, the red and pink varieties pack some extra punch in comparison to the white ones.
Because of their taste somewhat bitter taste, grapefruits can be off putting, and most would say they are an acquired taste. However, if one is to consider the benefit of grapefruits to the skin, heart and general body, the taste is just but a small price to pay. Here are a couple of evidenced health benefits of grapefruit juice.
Top 5 Benefits Linked With Drinking Grapefruit Juice
- Lower Cholesterol Levels: Drinking grapefruit juice has been linked to lowering cholesterol levels in the body. Cholesterol accumulation in the body especially in the arteries can not only be fatal, but it could also result in the occurrence of stroke and heart attack. Grapefruit juice balances good cholesterol (HDL) and triglyceride levels naturally. It also contains pectin which works to reduce the accumulation of bad cholesterol otherwise known as LDL. Studies have shown that with regular consumption grapefruit juice has the potential to lower the bad cholesterol by almost 15%. Vitamin C in the juice also helps strengthen arteries and maintain their elasticity.
- High nutrients, low calories: In comparison to other juices, grapefruit is extremely healthy. It contains high nutrients, a decent amount of fiber and almost no calories. The lack of calories coupled by the fact that it contains compounds that lower cholesterol levels is probably one of the reasons grapefruit is touted in many juice diets.
- Boost Immunity Levels: Grapefruit juice is crammed with Vitamin A and C both of which essential as far as the immune system is concerned. Vitamin C has antioxidant properties that protect to the body from harmful pathogens seeking to wreak havoc from within while vitamin A is known for its anti-inflammatory properties. Together with other minerals such as copper, iron and zinc the vitamins work to ensure optimal function of the immune system.
- Hydration: Almost all our body systems and processes require water to function effectively. Nutritionist and medic alike insist on drinking water and staying hydrated. It is even better if the food being consumed contain water. Grapefruits are made up almost entirely of water and so does the juice when it is extracted. Drinking up to a liter of grapefruit juice is great for the body. You will not only stay hydrated, but it also helps flush out toxins.
- Cleanses the liver: grapefruit juice promotes natural cleansing abilities of the liver and flushes out carcinogens and other unwanted toxins. Freshly squeezed grapefruit boosts detoxification of the liver and improves your overall health. This is because it enhances the production of enzymes that facilitate the detox process leaving you refreshed and all round healthy.
It is important to remember that even though grapefruit juice is healthy, one must take cautionary measure and consult with a doctor before consuming it. This however applies particularly if you are using any medication. Many Meds do not interact well with grapefruit juice. This is because the juice contains the compound fuanocoumarins limits how the liver metabolizes the medication and can result in an unwanted outcome should they mix. Bottom line is avoid grapefruit juice if on Meds and if you are not be sure to enjoy the deliciously tangy juice in moderation.
Hello, I’m Scott – a juicer and blending enthusiast. I hope to inspire you to make one positive step towards your juicing or blending journey through visiting this site.
We’ll go over some easy tips, guides, hacks, and honest product reviews so that you don’t have to waste your time or money on trial and error.